1. When the teacher told the boy to sit down, he _____ to her and said she couldn't make him.
A. gave way B. talked back C. looked up D. got down
[答案] B. talk back.
[注释]talk back 顶嘴；
1)Don't talk back to me! (别对我顶嘴！)
2)Mary talked back when her mother told her to stop watching television,she said, “I don't have to if I don't want to.”
give way 让路；look up查阅；get down从......下来；记下。
2. People _____ with anyone who is always talking about how wonderful he is.
A. fall in B. get fed up C. keep company D. catch up
[答案] B. get fed up.
[注释]get (be) fed up with (=having had too much of something; at the end of your patience; disgusted; bored; tired)讨厌；
I have had enough of his complaints,I'm fed up. (=I have heard all of the complaints I can stand.)
fall in with 符合，与......一致。Keep company with 与......交往，结伴；catch up with 赶上。
3. Margaret liked all her classes, but she liked sewing class _____.
A. above all B. in general C. after all D. in particular
[答案] D. in particular.
[注释]in particular (=especially, particularly) 特别是：
1) You should avoid eating fat meat, in particular pork. (你应该避免吃脂肪多的肉类，特别是猪肉。)
2)The speaker talked about sports in general and about football in particular.
In general 是in particular 的反义结构，从上述例2)中可以看到。
about all最重要的；after all毕竟。
4. Walking down the street, she noticed a long _____ of houses, all exactly alike.
A. queue B. rank C. train D. row
[答案] D. row.
[注释]a row of houses (desks, books etc.) 一排房子(书桌、书等)，戏院的“一排座位”即为a row of seats. queue (乘车，购物的)队，队伍。
train指“（行进中的）长列，队列”；a long train of visitors(一长列参观者)。
5. The president has told his friends that he is sick but will not admit it _____.
A. in private B. in secret C. in public D. in detail
[答案] C. in public.
[注释]in public 公开地，当众；in private 私下；in secret秘密地; in detail 详细地。
6. The sailor _____ time to visit his family before the ship went to sea.
A. put in for B. got round to C. ask after D. hold on to
[答案] A. put in for.
[注释]put in for(=make an application or request) 提出申请或请求；
May I put in for five days' leave?( 我可以请5天假吗？)
get round to (doing sth.) 找到时间作某事；
ask after 询问，问候；
hold on to 坚持(接to 加名词)。
7. Throughout most of their lives, humans _____ learn and increase their mental capacity.
A. actually B. readily C. fairly D. primarily
[答案] B. readily
[注释]readily (=with no difficulty)容易地；
They can readily be bought anywhere. (这些 东西在任何地方都能容易地买到。)
actually 实际上；fairly 公平地；相当，划算；primarily主要地，首先；根本上。
8. Through exposure to air, water, and organic matter, rocks _____ changes known as weathering.
A. undergo B. transform C. undertake D. suspend
[答案] A. undergo.
[注释]undergo (=experience esp. suffering or difficulty) 经受：
1)She underwent a thorough examination at the hospital. (她在医院接受了全面的检查。)
2)The travelers underwent many difficulties. (这些旅行者经受了许多困难。)
undertake (=take up a [position]; start on [work]) 从事，负责（某事）：
1)He undertook the responsibility for changes. (他负责对各种变化作出安排。)
2)At first we could only undertake repair jobs.(起初我们只能干修理活。)
3)We shall undertake the construction of this bridge. (我们将负责这座桥的修建工作。)
9. She tried to _____ out of the window to see the procession more clearly.
A. bend B. lean C. bow D. slope
[答案] B. lean.
[注释]lean vi. 倚，靠；
lean out of the window(倚着窗户探出身去)
lean against a tree(背倚靠着树)
lean back in a chair (坐在椅子上背向后倾)
lean on a desk(靠在桌上)，指胸对桌子。
10. The problem had become _____ in his mind, and he could not decide what to do about it.
A. simplified B. exaggerated C. matured D. isolated
[答案] B. exaggerated.
[注释]exaggerate(=say or believe more than the truth about sth.)夸张，夸大：
It was a rabbit, not a lion. You are exaggerating as usual. (这是一只兔子，不是狮子。你经常夸大事实。)