1. The shop-assistant was straight with his customers. If an article was of _____ quality, he"d tell them so.
A. humble B. minor C. inferior D. awkward
[正文]inferior 比拟差的；humble谦卑的，恭顺的，低下的；awkward 难堪的，顺当的， 笨手笨脚的；不好用的；
1)This cloth is inferior to that one .（这块布比那块品质差）
2)She feels inferior to her elder sister .（她感到比姐姐差的多。）
3)He is of humble birth.（她出身卑微。）
4)He is very humble towards his superiors.（ 他对下属低声下气。）
5)he felt awkward and uncomfortable.（他感到难堪不自由）
6)He was an awkward carpenter.（他是个笨手笨脚的木匠）
7)This is a very awkward question. We must ask that of Hery.（这个成绩不好凑合，咱们必需去问问亨利）
2. If you put too many potatoes in that paper-bag it will _____.
A. fail B. explode C. crack D. burst
[正文] burst vt./vi.涨破，涨裂。Burst one"s clothes（撑破衣服）。
3. One-room schoolhouses can still be found in _____ areas where there are no other schools for many miles.
A.disposed B. deserted C. isolated D. abandoned
Dispose of sth. 解决掉某物：He disposed of his old car .（他把旧的汽车解决掉了。）意为卖掉或扔掉等。
4. I"m afraid you have no _____ but to come along with us.
A. possibility B. permission C. choice D. selection
[正文]have no choice but 除了..没有别的抉择；只能..：I have no choice but to obey.(我只能遵从)。
5. I shall never beat John at tennis; we are clearly not in the same _____.
A. set B. band C. group D. class
[答案] D. class.
[正文]be in the same class 程度相反。此句中class,意为“(高下、优劣的)等级；种 类”。
6. As soon as Charles had _____ a little from his surprise, his one thought was to get away.
A. returned B. absorbed C. dissolved D. recovered
[答案] D. recovered.
[正文]recover from 从.....恢复过去
7. When I arrived in this country, I had to start learning the language from _____.
A. scratch B. scrap C. snatch D. scrape
[答案] A. scratch.
[正文]start from scratch (=from the beginning, from nothing) 从头开端，白手起家；
John brought the radio from scratch. (=John bought the parts and put them together himself.)
8. The thieves _____ him _____ in the park, took his wallet and escaped.
A. held .. back B. held .. up
C. held .. on D. held .. out
[答案] B. held ... up.
[正文]hold up sb.拦劫
9. Japan has to employ an increasing number of overseas workers because there is no easy solution to its labor _____.
A. decline B. rarity C. vacancy D. shortage
[答案] D. shortage.
[正文]labour shortage 休息力充足。Decline 降落。rarity稀少。vacancy 空缺，未占用.
10. The two dogs started to fight, so we tried to _____ them.
A. split B. separate C. tear D. pide
[答案] B. separate.
[正文]separate 意指将结合的货色“离开，拆散”，pide指把全体“分红”几个部 分，split（沿一条线-）裂开，tear扯开，distinguish“区分，区别，分别”。