1. She once again went through her composition carefully to _____ all spelling mistakes from it.
A.withdraw B.abandon C.diminish D.eliminate
[正文]eliminate(=get rid of, do away with)消弭，扫除，淘汰：
1)Can the government eliminate poverty?（政府是否消弭贫穷？）
2)eliminate slang words form an essay(从文章中去掉俚语词)。
2. When the little child caught sight of the young woman _____ in white he started brawling immediately.
A. dressed B. wearing C. worn D. putting on
[正文]be dressed in 穿这.....衣服。Wear意为“衣着”是及物动词，语法构造上与本题不符。Put on穿上，强调的举措。
3. Some areas, _____ their severe weather conditions, are hardly populated.
A. due to B. but for C. in spite of D.with relation to
[答案]A. due to.
[正文]due to因为。有些言语专家以为due to疏导的短语，在句中只能作表语，如：
1)His absence was due to the storm.
2)The delay was due to heavy traffic.
3)This accident was due to his carelessness.
1)He failed due to carelessness.
2)Due to heavy traffic, he was late for an hour or so.
4. Many university courses are not really _____ to the needs of students or their future employers.
A.associated B. relative C. geared D. sufficient
[正文]be geared to与.....相衔接的，与.....搭配得上的。
Be relative to与.....无关的：
This is not relative to the accident.(这和这次事变有关。)
5. If we can _____ our present difficulties, then everything should be all right.
A. get off B. come across C. come over D. get over
[答案]D. get over.
[正文]get over (difficulties)克服（艰难）。
6. Be careful how you _____ that jug, it will break very easily.
A. pour B. operate C. handle D. employ
[正文]handle意为“用手拿.....”:Wash your hands before you handle my books.
7. We suddenly saw the bus about to leave and had to run _____ to catch it.
A. hardly B. awkwardly C. hard D. strongly
8. He hated the war so much that he decided to leave the army _____.
A. for long B. once in a while
C. for good D. once upon a time
[答案] C. for good.
[正文] for good (=permanently)永世地：
He says he"s leaving the country for good. for long 短暂地。
按本题题意，用 for long 不妥。once upon a time 从前。once in a while 偶然。
9. This year the farmers were just able to gather in the _____ before the fine weather came to an end.
A. collection B. harvest C. flower D. plant
[答案] B. harvest.
[正文] gather in “播种(庄稼)”: The farmers are gathering in the corn.
10. A successful scientist needs _____ if he wants to make hypothesis (假定) of how processes work and how events take place.
A. permission B. penetration
C. imagination D. convention
[答案] C. imagination.
[正文] imagination 设想力；penetration 穿透；permission 容许； convention 常规，惯例。