1. The government has lost a great deal of _____ because of the large increase in food prices.
A. strength B. support C. agreement D. vote
[正文]lose support得到支持。vote作为“选票”解时，是可数称号，所以不能与a great deal of搭配。
2. The branches could hardly _____ the weight of the fruit.
A. retain B. maintain C. sustain D. remain
[正文]sustain(=hold up the weight of)承住，撑持：An old wall cannot sustain a new building.
3. He thought this was the first pair of shoes that had fitted him _____.
A. perfectly B. justly C. fairly D. rightly
[正文]perfectly(=quite well, completely)非常，齐全地。
4. I feel sure that _____ qualification, ability and experience, you are abundantly suited to the position we have in mind.
A. in case of B. in terms of
C. in the opinion of D. in the course of
[答案]B. in terms of.
[正文]in terms of根据，依照。
In case of万一……；
in the opinion of依照……的看法；
in the course of在……的进程中，在……时期。以上4个习语均为纲要规则之列，考生应熟记、活用。Have...in mind心中想到。
5. So far as he could, John had always tried to _____ the example he saw in Lincoln.
A. live up to B. set forth C. call for D. cut out
[答案]A. live up to.
[正文]live up to不孤负，作到；set forth说明，提出，罗列； cut out删去； call for需求，要求
6. It would be _____ a risk to let the child go to school by himself.
A. following B. passing C. running D. carrying
[正文]run(take) a risk 冒危险：
You are running a big risk in trusting him.(你信赖他是冒极大的危险。)
7. Children who are over-protected by their parents may become _____.
A. hurt B. spoiled C. damaged D. harmed
[正文]spoil(=make a child selfish from having too much attention or praise)宠坏，惯坏；
Spare the rod, spoil the child.(省下了棍子，惯坏了孩子。)这是英国谚语，意为“棒头上出逆子”。
8. Paper making began in China and from there it _____ to North Africa and Europe.
A. sprang B. spilled C. carried D. spread
[正文]spread vt./vi. 此处意指“流传”，如：
1)The news spread quickly.
2)Files spread disease.(苍蝇流传疾病。)
He carried the news to everyone in the village. 当carry vt. 在本句中与句子的语法构造不符。
His voice carries far. (他的声响能传得很远。)
9. When the entire class worked together they finished the project _____.
A. in no way B. in no time
C. on no account D. in no case
[答案]B. in no time.
[正文]in no time (=in a very little time, soon, quickly)立刻，马上：
The bus filled with students in no time. (这辆公共汽车很快就被先生挤满了。)
10. The _____ of his clothes indicated too clearly that he had been playing football.
A. state B. condition C. occasion D. situation
[正文]state n. 情况，形态。例如：
She is in a poor state of health.
He was in a hopeless situation.
Economic conditions were bad.