1. Professor Smith and Professor Brown will _____ in giving the class lectures.
A. exchange B. alter C. shift D. alternate
[正文]alternate vt./vi. 轮番，交替发作或呈现：
1)Wet days alternate with fine days.(晴雨天交替更迭。)
2)The weather today will alternate between fine and cloudy.(明天的天气将是晴间多云。)
1)Lend me a hand to shift the piano, will you?(请帮个忙搬一下这台钢琴。)
2)They have shifted away from this area.(他们已从这一地域迁走了。)
3)The candidate is constantly shifting his opinion about the problem.(这位竞选者在这个成绩上一直扭转他的观念。)
exchange替换；exchange... for ... 用.......换......；
2. Pack the cake in a strong box, or it might get _____ in the post.
A. splashed B. spilt C. crushed D. crashed
1)Don"t crush this box; there are flowers inside.(不要把这个盒子压坏了，外面有鲜花。)
2)Her dress was crushed.(她的衣服弄皱了。) 3)The machine crushes wheat grain to make floor.(这台机器把麦粒辗成面粉。)
3. The thief _____ the papers all over the room while he was searching.
A. abandoned B. vanished C. scattered D. deserted
[正文]scatter(=throw or put in various directions, or here and there)撒。abandon保持，丢弃。desert遗弃（而分开）。vanish消亡，沦亡。本题句意是将小偷在搜索钱时的情形，所以应选scattered(撒)。
4. Today, housework has been made much easier by electrical _____.
A. facilities B. appliances C. instruments D. equipment
5. The _____ of the trees in the water was very clear.
A. mirror B. sight C. reflection D. shadow
6. One _____ needed when making a cake is flour; another is sugar.
A. container B. ingredient C. content D. equivalent
7. They have been waiting for many hours to see the singer, but the airplane must have been _____.
A. behind the times B. behind schedule
C. ahead of time D. in no time
[答案]B. behind schedule.
[正文]behind schedule(=late, behind time)晚点：
The train is running behind schedule today.(=The train is not on time today.)
behind the times(=using things not in style; still following old ways; old fashioned)过期，跟不上时代，落后：
1)The store is behind the times.(=The store is old-fashioned; it looks as stores looked 40 years ago.)
2) Mary thinks her parents are behind the times because they still do the fox-trot and don"t know any new dances.(=Mary"s parents are old-fashioned in their dancings .)
ahead of time提前： They have fulfilled their production plans ahead of time
in no time(=soon, quickly)立刻，马上：I"ll be back in no time to see you home.
8. Neither of them thought highly of him and they both tried to _____ him in his work.
A. hamper B. support C. assist D. encourage
[正文]hamper(=hinder, prevent free movement or activity)障碍：Lack of equipment is hampering our work.
Think highly of... 对...评估很高，以为......很好。
9. Her display of bad temper completely _____ the party.
A. harmed B. damaged C. spoilt D. hurt
[正文]spoil指出意指“使...... 败兴，搞糟”，如：Quarrelling spoilt the picnic.(争持使这次野餐弄得很败兴。)hurt损伤，damage 损坏，harm危害，均不合题意。
10. We forgave his bad temper because we knew that his son"s illness had put him under great _____.
A. emotion B. excitement C. crisis D. stress
[正文]put sb. under(great) stress使某人处境（十分）缓和，使某人受（很大）压力。