1. The policeman stopped him when he was driving home and _____ him of speeding.
A. charged B. accused C. blamed D. deprived
[答案] B. accused.
[正文]accuse sb. of... 控诉某人犯有......, warn sb. of正告、告戒某人有......deprive sb. of sth.剥夺某人某事。charge sb. with murder (指控某人犯有杀人罪) 。
2. Mr. Smith gradually _____ a knowledge of the subject.
A. attained B. achieved C. required D. acquired
[答案] D. acquired.
[正文]acquired (=gain for oneself by skill or ability, by one"s own efforts or behavior) (由技术、才能、致力或行为) 取得; 失去：He has acquired a good command of English language. (他已通晓英语。)
achieve, vt. 获得 (成功、胜利等) , 完成 (指标、目的等) 。
attain, vt. 达到 (目的等) , 获得 (成就等) ：
1) I hope you will attain your object. (我心愿你会达到你的目的。)
2) He attained success through hard work.
3. This is the _____ piano on which the composer created some of his greatest works.
A. actual B. genuine C. real D. original
[答案] A. actual
[正文]本题中actual (=existing in fact, not imaginary) 实际应用过的。actual, read, genuine是同义词, 有时能够调换, 如：an actual (or real) event in history, (历史上的实在件)
real (or genuine) banknotes (真钞票), 其反义词是false (假的) ;
original (原来的) , 其反义词是duplicate (复制的) 。
从不同的角度看, 仿佛任何一个抉择都说得过来, 但依照题意选A. actual 最佳, 由于题中强调的不是钢琴的虚实, 而是指作曲家“实际应用过的”。
4. My camera can be _____ to take pictures in cloudy or sunny conditions.
A. treated B. adopted C. adjusted D. remedied
[答案] C. adjusted.
[正文]adjust (=arrange, put in order or agreement; make suitable or convenient for use) 强调, 调理, 使顺应;
1)The body adjusts itself to change of temperature. (身材能自行调理以顺应温度的变动。)
2)My eyes have not been adjusted to dark yet. (我的眼睛还没有顺应光明。) 本句中adjust是不迭物动词。
3)I must adjust my watch. It"s slow. (我必需调一下我的表。它走得慢了。)
5. According to the psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud, wisdom comes from the _____ of maturity.
A. fulfillment B. achievement
C. establishment D. accomplishment
[答案] B. achievement
[正文]achievement (=something successfully finished or gained especially through skill and hard work) 获得, 达到, 成就。例如：achievement age智力成熟年龄。
fulfilment (=the act of fulfilling or condition of being fulfilled) 实行, 履行。如：He was willing to face any hardship in fulfilment of his duties. (他情愿迎向艰难去实行他得职责
Accomplishment (顺利) 实现：It was a great accomplishment to finish the house cleaning in two days. (两天内清扫完这栋屋子是件很了不起的事。)
6. The number of tickets _____ will be determined by the size of the stadium.
A. adaptable B. acceptable C. advisable D. available
[答案] D. available.
[正文] available. (=capable of being used; that may be obtained) 可用的, 无效的, 可失去的。例如：
1) There are no doctors available in the remote areas. (在边远地域没有大夫。)
2) There tickets are available for on month. (这些票无效期一个月。)
acceptable 能够承受的：None of the suggestions was acceptable. advisable 理智的, 可取的, 适当的：I think it advisable that he be assigned to the job. (我以为指派他干这项工作是可取的。)
adaptable 能顺应的：He is an adaptable man and will soon learn the new work.
7. Too many hotels have been built and this has _____ prices, making holidays cheaper.
A. cut short B. cut out C. cut off D. cut down
[答案] D. cut down.
[正文] cut down
8. He is a very honest official and never _____ any gifts from the people who sought his help.
A. accepted B. received C. took up D. excepted
[答案] A. accepted
[正文] receive 收到, 接到, 指“收, 接”这一举措; 而accept 是通过思考“承受”上去, 示意当事人的态度, 如：I received the present, but I did not accept it. (我收到了这件礼物, 但我没有承受。)
9. He was not _____ to the club because he wasn"t a member.
A. allowed B. admitted C. permitted D. approved
[答案] B. admitted.
[正文] admit sb. to (=allow sb. or sth. to enter; let in) 容许某人某物进入; 让......进入：
1) Children are not admitted. (儿童免进)
2)Only one hundred boys are admitted to the school the school every year. (这所学校每年只收100名男生。)
admit (=acknowledge; confess) 抵赖, 招认：
1) We have to admit that he is a highly competent man. (咱们不得不抵赖他是一位才能很强的人)
2) The thief admitted his crime.
3) She admitted having read the letter,
4) I admit breaking the window. 留意admit后可接动名词的普通式或实现式。
5) We must admit the task to be difficult。留意admit也能够接复合构造。allow和permit后均可接sb. to do sth., 故不合本题题意。
approve sth. 批准; approve of doing sth. (=think well of) 赞成, 称许：
1) I am afraid they won"t approve of your going there. (恐怕他们不会赞成你去那里的)
2) I don"t approve of your way of looking at things. (我不同意你对待事件的办法。)
10. Although he doesn"t like that law, he will _____ with it.
A. confine B. conform C. comply D. contend
[答案] C. comply
[正文] comply with 恪守。