1. Motorists _____ of speeding may be banned from driving for a year.
A. convicted B. arrested C. charged D. judged
[答案] A. convicted.
[正文]be convicted to 被判有...... (罪) ：He was convicted of murder. (他被法院判有谋杀罪。)
2. The reason why he adapted to the new situations quickly is that he has a _____ attitude.
A. changeable B. alternate C. movable D. flexible
[答案] D. flexible.
[正文] flexible 灵敏的, 可变通的; We need a foreign policy that is more flexible.
3. Will all those _____ the proposal raise their hands?
A. in relation to B. in excess of
C. in contrast to D. in favor of
[答案] D. in favor of.
[正文] in favor of 赞成。in excess of 超越。in relation to 关系到。in contrast to 与......绝对照。例如：
1) Everyone in the class voted in favor of the party. (=All of the children voted to have a party.)
2) We got $5000 in excess of the fixed sum. (咱们盯定额多支出5000美元。)
3) This appears small in contrast to (with) that. (这个同那个比照起来显得小了。)
4) I have a lot to say in relation to that affair. (我对那件事有许多话要说。)
5) We must plan in (with) relation to the future. (咱们定方案时要思考到未来。)
4. An early typewriter produced letters quickly and neatly; the typist, _____ couldn"t see his work on his machine.
A. however B. therefore C. yet D. although
[答案] A. however.
[正文] however 但是。
5. We are interested in the weather because it _____ us so directly ------ what we wear, what we do, and even how we feel.
A. benefits B. guides C. affects D. effects
[答案] C. affects.
[正文] affect (=have an influence or effect on) 影响：The climate affected his health. (气象影响[侵害]了他的衰弱。)
[留意]affect vt. 影响。
effect n. (=influence) 影响, 作用：Some films have a misleading effect on children.
effect vt. (=bring about) 履行, 进行, 产生......结果:
1) I will effect my purpose: no-one shall stop me!
2) We hope to effect an improvement. (咱们心愿能惹起改良。)
1) to that effect 那个意思的 (话) ：She said she hated spinach, or words to that effect. (她说她不喜爱吃菠菜或那个意思的话。)
2) to the effect that... 意思是说, 示意下述意思：I said a few words the effect that all he had told us was already well known. (我说了几句话, 意思是说他通知咱们的所有都已家喻户晓。)
6. I can meet you at eight o"clock; _____ you can call for me.
A. incidentally B. actually
C. alternatively D. accordingly
[答案] C. alternatively
[正文]alternatively (=as an alternative) 作为一个代替方法：If however is used, but is not needed; or alternatively omit however. (假如应用however,就不需求but;或许作为一个代替方法省去however。)
[留意]alternately 和 alternatively的区别:
alternately (交替地) ：At a Chinese dinner, the guests and the hosts sit alternately at a round table.
7. He has the _____ of an athlete: he really goes all out to win.
A. instants B. instances C. instincts D. intelligences
[答案] C. instincts.
[正文] instinct 天生的本事。instant n. 霎时, 时辰; adj. 立刻的, 间接的。如：instant coffee 速溶咖啡; instant food (s) 不便食品。例如：Spaceships are stocked with a variety of instant foods. (宇宙飞船上备有各种个样的不便食品。)
8. A university is an educational institution which _____ degrees and carries out research.
A. rewards B. awards C. grants D. presents
[答案] B. awards.
[正文]awards sb. sth. 授于某人某物。如：They awarded John the first prize. (他们授于约翰一等奖。)
比照：reward sb with sth. 以某物酬报某人, 须加介词with; They rewarded the boy with $5 for bringing back the lost dog. (他们给这男孩5美元酬报他把失落的狗找回来。)
grant (=consent to give or allow what is asked for) 赞同 (给予) , 许可 (申请) ：The firm granted him a pension. (公司赞同给予他退休金。)
present sb. with sth. 赠送：Our class presented the school with a picture. (咱们班给学校送了一幅画。)
present 颁发, 呈递：
1) The principal will present the diplomas. (校长将颁发文凭。)
2) We shall present a complete report to the Annual Conference. (咱们将向年会递交一份片面的报告。)
9. The old lady can"t hope to _____ her cold in a few days.
A. get over B. get off C. hold back D. hold up
[答案] A. get over
10. Jim"s plans to go to college _____ at the last moment.
A. fell out B. gave away C. gave off D. fell through
[答案] D. fell through，未能完成