1. The _____ stuck on the outside of the envelope said "By Air".
A. label B. ticket C. signal D. sign
[答案] A. label.
[正文]label 标签，标志。signal信号。 sign记号；批示牌：traffic signs (交通版示)。notice公告。
2. Psychological studies show that some people are quick-tempered _____.
A. at heart B. on purpose C. in person D. by nature
[答案] D. by nature.
[正文]by nature 天生，生来。
1）亲身，亲自：I shall be present at the meeting in person.(我将亲身缺席会议。)
2）身材上，外貌上：In person he was handsome, strong and healthy.(他面目娟秀，体魄健壮。)
1)心田里，本质上：His manners are cold, but he is at heart a kind man. (他的言谈举止有些淡漠，但实际上他是一个善意肠的人。)
2）思考的是.....：When I say don"t eat sweets, I have your health at heart.(我叫你别吃果糖，是思考到你的衰弱。)on purpose 成心地。
3. She was putting on her watch when the _____ broke and it fell to the ground.
A. belt B. strap C. tie D. string
[答案] B. strap.
4. Feudal landlords, and imperialists are in no way more _____ than wolves.
A. reasonable B. regardless C. ridiculous D. rational
[答案] D. rational.
5. His name was on the _____ of my tongue, but I just couldn"t recall it.
A. end B. point C. edge D. tip
[答案] D. tip.
[正文]be on (or at) the tip of one"s tongue 就在嘴边，差点被想起，如：
The answer was on the tip of my tongue, but I could"t think of it.(我差点就想起那答案来，可就是想不起来。)
be on the point of 正要（去做某事）：I was just on the point of going when you came in.
6. The authorities declared that because of the war petrol was _____ and had to be rationed (定量供给).
A. inadequate B. rare C. lacked D. scarce
[答案] D. scarce.
Scarce(=not available in sufficient quantity, not equal to the demand)不短缺的，缺乏的，供不应求的。
lack vt./vi. (=be without ; not have; have less than enough of) 缺乏；没有；短少，例如：
1）He lacks perseverance.(他缺乏坚决性。)
2)Money is lacking for the plan.(此方案尚缺钱。)
3)He is lacking in courage.(他缺乏勇气。)
be lacking in 常指缺乏某种质量、特点等。
They lacked for nothing.(他们什么也不缺。)有人以为，lack for是美国英语。
7. How did it _____ that the two men arrived to address the same meeting at the same time.
A. fall out B. take place C. get around D. come through
[答案] A. fall out.
吵架，闹翻。本题中fall out意为happen, come about(发作),例如：
As it fell out, they were able to sell their old car.(=They didn"t know if they could sell their old car, but at last they did sell it.)
8. He looked incredulous(不轻信的) on hearing the news. He seemed to think it _____.
A. incompatible B.incredible C.inclusive D indifferent
[答案] B. incredible.
[正文]incredible (=that cannot be believed; difficult to believe) 不可置信的，难以相信的：
His story of rescuing six drowning men was incredible. (他抢救6个溺水人的事件是难以相信的。)
9. In my opinion, your work does not _____ what I expected of you.
A. catch up with B. add up to C. come up to D. go in for
[答案] C. come up to.
[正文]come up to 达到，合乎：
1)He tries his best to come up to the expectations of the people.(他致力达到人民对他的希冀。)
2)This piece of work does not come up to the
catch up with 赶上；add up to总计；go in for 从事，努力于，谋求，沉溺于。
10. I broke my relationship with John because he always found _____ with me.
A. error B. mistake C. fault D. failure
[答案] C. fault.
[正文]find fault with 挑剔，找.....的岔子。例如：
1)She tries to please him, but he always finds fault. (=He finds something wrong with everything she does.)
2)They found fault with every box I made. (=They found something wrong or something they did not like in every box I made.)
[答案] D. lasted.
[正文]last vi. (for) 继续