1. It is not profitable to provide bus services in districts where the population is widely _____.
A. scattered B. dismissed C. separated D. spread
[正文]scattered是scatter的过来分词，也可作描述词用，（=lying in different directions; not situated together, wide apart）扩散的，分布在各处的。 Separate离开的，spread流传；摊开，dismiss辞退。
2. There are usually at least two _____ of looking at every question.
A. ways B. directions C. views D. opinions
[正文]two ways of looking at every questions意指“察看每个成绩的两个方面”。
3. He left in such a hurry that I _____ had time to thank him.
A. almost B. even C. nearly D. scarcely
[正文]scarcely(=hardly, not quite, almost not)简直没有。
Scarcely能否定副词，相似的有：hardly, barely, rarely, seldom, little等。
4. As more and more cars are produced and used, so the _____ from their exhaust-pipes contains an even larger volume of poisonous gas.
A. exposure B. distribution C. expansion D. emission
They believe that their health problems are the result of years of exposure to fine cotton dust.(他们以为，他们的衰弱成绩是多年来暴露于棉花粉尘所致。)
expansion收缩，扩展；Heat causes the expansion of gas.
5. The book seems to have been _____ from various books and articles.
A. pieced together B. taken off
C. broken away D. pulled out
[答案]A. pieced together.
[正文]piece together拼合，拼凑；take off腾飞；break away from脱离；pull out插入；驶出；（车）加速。
6. We had a marvelous holiday: only the last two days were slightly _____ by the weather.
A. damaged B. hurt C. ruined D. spoiled
[正文]spoiled使.....败兴： A shower of rain spoiled our day"s outing.
7. I could tell he was surprised from the _____ on his face.
A. appearance B. view C. sight D. expression
8. I"d like to take _____ of this opportunity to thank you all for your cooperation.
A. profit B. benefit C. advantage D. interests
[正文]take advantage of(=make use of sth. for one"s own benefit)利用：take advantage of my ignorance(利用我的无知)。
9. If you ever have the _____ to go abroad to work, you should take it.
A. possibility B. offer C. luck D. chance
Have与the(或 a) possibility不能搭配；
罕用There is a possibility for sb. to do sth.示意主观存在的“可能性”。
10. Scientists think they have _____ in their attempt to find the causes of some major dieases.
A. broken through B. worked out
C. fallen out D. got round
[答案]A. broken through.
[正文]break through(=be successful after overcoming a difficulty)打破；获得严重效果：
Scientists hope to break through soon in their fight against heart disease.(迷信家心愿在与心脏病奋斗中很快获得严重效果。)