1. All foreign visitors are requested to _____ with the regulations in this area.
A. agree B. comply C. consent D. conform
[正文]comply with(=act in accordance with a demand, order, rule, etc.)恪守：
People who refuse to comply with the law will be punished.(回绝恪守法律者将遭到惩罚。)
conform to rules合乎规定；
conform to the customs of society(服从社会风俗)；
consent to 赞同，同意；
consent to a plan(同意方案)。
2. Thomas Edison considered genius to be _____ one per cent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.
A. composed of B. constituted in
C. consisted of D. comprised in
[答案]A. composed of.
[正文]be composed of由......组成。Consist of由......组成，是不迭物动词，不能用被动语态，故不合题意。
3. Although Lucy was slimming, she found cream cakes quite _____.
A. irregular B. inevitable
C. incredible D. irresistible
[答案] D. irresistible
1)I had a irresistible desire to run away
2)I can"t refuse this offer; it is irresistible.
Irregular 不法则的, 不合规定的：
1)the trains from here are irregular.(这里发的火车是不法则的。)
2)These procedures are highly irregular.(这些顺序是十分不合规矩的。
1)Old superstitions are incredible to educated people.（旧的科学对受过教育的人来说是不可信的。）
2)His story of rescuing six drowning men is incredible.(他说他救了6个溺水者，这是难以相信的。)
1)Traffic delays are inevitable at a holiday weekend.（假日周末交通耽误是难免的。）
2)Pain is Inevitable when one breaks a bone.（骨折是疼痛是难防止的。）
4. In order to _____ the rising production costs, the subscription rates have been increased.
A. add up to B. look up to C. cut shortD. keep up with
[答案]D. keep up with.
[正文] keep up with跟上 look up to(=admire, respect)赞誉，尊崇：We look up to the old workers as our teacher.（咱们把这位老工人尊为咱们的教师。）本题中rates意为“价钱，费用”。
5. Your essay is quite good: just _____ it _____ with a few illustrations and quotations.
A. put .. up B. touch .. up
C. cut .. out D. write .. off
[答案]B. touch up.
[正文] touch up(=improve or perfect by small additional strokes or alterations)润色，润饰：
1)The last part of the article needs to be touched up.(这篇文章的最初一局部需求润色。)
2)He touched up the picture by strengthening and shadows.(他把画润饰了一下，使黑暗局部和阴暗局部的比照度更显明。)
put up留宿；cut out 删掉；write off报销，勾消。
6. I hope my teacher will take my recent illness into _____ when judging my examination.
A. regard B. account C. thought D. observation
[正文] take sth. into account(=consider)思考到：We must take local conditions into accoutn.
7. There are three basic ways of _____ language to writing, and all known graphic systems use one or a combination of these.
A. committing B. attaching C. comparing D. relating
[正文] commit...to 拜托，交付：
1)He was committed to the care of his aunt.(他被拜托给他的姨妈看管。)
2)I have already committed the rules to memory.(我早已记住这些规定了。)
commit sth. to writing(把......写上去)。
8. Roses are quite _____ flowers in English gardens.
A. ordinary B. common C. usual D. general
[正文]common(=usual and ordinary; happening of found often and in many places)一般的；常见的；经常发作的；四处可见的：
a common experience(一般的经验)；a common tree(常见的树木)。
1)This bird is common throughout Europe.(这种鸟在欧洲很常见。
2)They can treat most of the common diseases.(他们能医治大少数常见病。)
usual(=done, found, used or existing most of the time) 常常的，通常的，常规的，司空见惯的；强调工夫习气方面，例如：
This is the usual state of the house.(这房子里平时就是这种样子。)
ordinary失常的，一般的，失常的；an ordinary day(平庸的一天)，ordinary people(一般人), a piece of ordinary dance music(一首一般的舞曲)。
9. American women were _____ the right to vote until 1920 after many years of hard struggle.
A. ignored B. refused C. neglected D. denied
[正文] deny 1)否定：
A. He didn"t deny the facts.
B. They couldn"t deny that it was a serious blow to them.
C. He denied having ever there.(他否定曾到过那里。)
2)(=say "no" to a request; refuse to give sth. asked for or needed)不给予；
1)Lots of people were denied the right to vote.(许多人被剥夺了选举权。)
2)He denies his wife nothing.(他对他的妻子有求必应。)
10. On turning the corner, we saw the road _____ steeply.
A. departing B. decreasing C. descending D. depressing
[正文] descend(=come or go down)走上去；传上去：
1)He descended from the top of the mountain.
2)Are men descended from apes?(人是不是猿的后辈？)depress 压制，使丧气。