1. We can"t _____ one to change the habits of a lifetime in a short time.
A. hope B. wait C. expect D. imagine
I expert the work to be finished by Friday.（我希冀这项工作能在星期五前做完。）
wait for ... to do sth.期待、期待......做......，强调“等”这一动词的自身，如：
The audience are waiting eagerly for the performance to begin.(观众正等着上演开端。)本题如改为这样：
I waited for him to arrive in time for dinner, but he didn"t come.(我等他来赶上晚餐，但他没有来。)则句子使是对的。
由此可见，expect是示意“等待”，而wait for 是示意“期待”，词义齐全不同。
留意hope后不能接sb. to do sth.
1)imagine being on the moon.
2)I"m sorry, but I can"t imagine anyone doing research like that.(很遗憾，我不能设想人家那样做试验。)
2. It was necessary to _____ the factory building as the company was doing more and more business.
A. extend B. increase C. lengthen D. magnify
[正文]本题中extend意为“扩展”。lengthen拉长,延伸。magnify放大。 Spread vi. 流传；vt.开展；He spread butter on the toast.(他在烤面包上涂上奶油。)
3. I asked the tailor to make a small _____ to my trousers because they were too long.
A. change B. variation C. revision D. alteration
We need some variation in our daily routine.(咱们的例行私事需求作些变化。)
4. Because of the strong sun Mrs. William"s new dining room curtains _____ from dark blue to gray within a year.
A. faded B. fainted C. paled D. diminished
He fainted from hunger.
1)His illness diminished his strength.
2)The campers" food supply diminished as the days wore on.(随着日子的慢慢消逝，野营者的食品供给日益缩小。)pale变惨白。
5. Jack is good, kind, hard-working and intelligent. _____, I can"t speak too highly of him.
A. As a result B. By the way
C. On the whole D. In a word
[答案]D. In a word.
[正文]in a word(=in short)总之，简言之。
6. Evidence obtained from observation and experiment is often used to _____ a scientific theory.
A. confirm B. confine C. conform D. conceive
[正文] confirm(=support; make certain; give proof of)证明，的确：
1)Please confirm your telephone message in writing.(请把你电话中所说的话再用文字复述一篇。)
2)The king confirmed that the election would be on June 20th.(国王确认，这次抉择将于六月二十日举办。)
Please confine your remarks to the subject we are talking about.(请把你的话限止于咱们正在议论的标题。)
He very quickly conceived a new plan.
[留意]conceive of设想:They could not conceive of the possibility of failure.(他们不能设想失败的可能。)
7. Political parties often differ in their views on various _____ concerning their own countries.
A. ways B. measures C. issues D. patterns
8. _____ his knowledge of the mountainous country, John Smith was appointed as our guide.
A. In spite of B. On account of
C. Regardless of D. Instead of
[答案]B. On account of
[正文]on account of(=because of)因为，由于。regardless of(=without worrying about)不顾；Regardless of danger, he climbed the tower.
9. The lawyer was expected to _____ some proposals after reading all those documents.
A. come up with B. put up with
C. look up to D. keep up with
[答案]A. come up with.
[正文]come up with提出。Put up with忍耐；keep up with跟上，与......放弃分歧；look up to尊崇。
10. While typing, Helen has a habit of stopping _____ to give her long and flowing hair a smooth.
A. occasionally B. simultaneously
C. eventually D. directly
[正文]occasionally 偶然；Simultaniously同时地； directly间接