1. In this factory, suggestions often have to wait for months before they are fully _____.
A.admitted B.acknowledged C.absorbed D.considered
[答案] D. considered
[正文] considered 思考； admit 抵赖； absorb 排汇。
1) (=agree or admit the truth of; confess) 抵赖， 招认；
A. He acknowledged his mistake. (他抵赖了他的谬误。)
B. 接动名词 He acknowledged having beenbeaten. (他抵赖被战胜了。)
2) (express thanks for) 致谢;
A. Mary acknowledged the gift with a pleasant letter. (玛丽致函感激馈赠的礼物。)
B. His long service with the company was acknowledged with a present. (向他赠送礼品以感激他长期来对公司的效劳。)
2. The boy slipped out of the room and headed for the swimming pool without his parents" _____.
A. command B. conviction C. consent D. compromise
[答案] C. consent
[正文] consent 赞同， 赞成， 许可。conviction 坚信, 确信。compromise 妥协， 折中。command 命令， 指令； 把握， 运用才能。
3. Our research has focused on a drug which is so _____ as to be able to change brain chemistry.
A. powerful B. influential C. monstrous D. vigorous
[答案] A. powerful
[正文] powerful (=having or producing great power) 强无力的。在这里四个描述词中, 只有powerful (无效力的) 可与示意药物的名词搭配。influential 有影响的， 有权力的， monstrous 异样大的， vigorous 精力旺盛的, 强健无力的。
4. The lost car of the Lees was found _____ in the woods off the highway.
A. vanished B. abandoned C. scattered D. rejected
[答案] B. abandoned
[正文] abandoned (=give up completely) 保持， 丢弃；
1) The scientist abandoned his research for lack of fund.
2) The sailors abandoned the burning ship
[留意]abandon 暗指某人对其所丢弃的人或物将会发作什么事件不感兴味， 如把撞坏的汽车丢弃在路旁。
vanish (=suddenly disappear; go out of existence) vi.隐没， 绝迹；
1) The airplane vanished into the clouds.
2) Many kinds of animals have vanished form the earth. (许多品种的植物以在地球上绝迹。)
scatter (=send, go in different direction) 驱使, 使扩散; The police scattered the crowed. (警察遣散人群。)
(=throw or put in various directions) 撒， 四处放；He scattered his clothes all over the room. reject
(=refuse to accept) 回绝承受； She rejected my suggestion
5. Henry"s news report covering the conference was so _____ that nothing had been omitted.
[答案] C. comprehensive.
[正文] comprehensive 齐全的包罗万象的； comprehensible 能懂的， 能够了解的; understandable 能够了解的， 次要用来指人的行为。understanding 用来指人时, 示意"擅长了解他人或他人成绩的 (人) ."
留意上面的搭配：a comprehensive map (街区详图) ; a comprehensible remark (听得懂的话) ,an understandable mistake (能够了解的谬误) ; an understanding friend (一位能了解人的冤家) .
6. She was afraid that unless the train speeded up she would lose her _____ to Scotland.
A. ticket B. place C. seat D. connection
[答案] D. connection
[正文] lose one"s connection to 误了到。.....中央去的 (汽车、火车、轮船的) 联运； The train was late and I missed my connection.
7. The ship was _____ in a storm off Jamaica.
A. drowned B. sunk C. wrecked D. submitted
[答案] C. wrecked
[正文] wreck vt. 撞坏， 破坏；
1) My son wrecked my car.
2) My car was completely wrecked in the accident.
sink vt. 下沉， 漂浮， 该动词也可作及物动词用, 意为“使下沉”, 但按本题句意看， 用被动语态不妥。
drown 溺死， 淹死： (vt.) He drowned his wife. (vi) He drowned in the river. (他在河里淹死了。)
submit 1) (=put oneself under the control of another) 提交， 呈送 (to) : Should a wife submit herself to her husband? (妻子应依从他丈夫吗？)
2) (=put forward for option, discussion, decision ect.) 提出 (供评论、探讨决议等) You must submit your request to the committee. 3) (=surrender (to) , give in) 屈从,投诚：After being defeated, they submitted to the enemy. (战胜后， 他们向敌人投诚了。)
8. No one has _____ been able to trace the author of the poem.
A. still B. yet C. already D. just
[答案] B. yet
[正文] yet 罕用于如今实现时的否认句中， 意为“尚， 还”。
9. More than one-third of the Chinese in the United States live in California, _____ in San Francisco.
A. previouslyB. predominantlyC practicallyD. permanently
[答案] B. predominantly.
[正文] predominantly (=mostly; mainly) 次要地。
previously (=coming earlier in time or order) 先前, 新近； This is better than any solution previously. (这个方法比以前提出的任何处理方法都好。)
practically (=really; in a practical way) 实际上。
permanently (=going on for a long time) 永世地。
本题译文：在美国， 华人中有三分之一寓居在加利福尼亚洲， 其中次要是在旧金山。
10. The new secretary has written a remarkably _____ report only in a few pages but with all the details.
A. concise B. clear C. precise D. elaborate
[答案] A. concise.
[正文] concise (=brief; giving much information in few words) 长篇大论的：He gave a concise report of the meeting. (他对会议作了长篇大论的报道。)
clear 分明的。precise (=exact; correctly stated; free form error) 准确的， 明确无误的; Please tell me the precise measurements. (请通知我准确的尺寸。)
elaborate (=worked out with much care; carefully prepared) 精心制造的, 丰硕的：Peter worked out an elaborate scheme for raising the money. (彼得制订了一项详尽得方案来筹集着笔款项。)
孤立地看， 仿佛4个描述词均能润饰report, 但从句子的逻辑关系看， 后半句中有only in a few pages but with all the details, 故concise 是最贴切的抉择了。