1. The Department is also deeply _____ in various improvement schemes.
A. connected B. included C. involved D. implied
[答案] C. involved.
[正文]be involved in 参加。Be included in 包括在......中。
2. Keys should never be hidden around the house since thieves _____ know where to look.
A. virtually B. variously C. unavoidably D. invariably
[答案] D. invariably.
[正文]invariably 总是, 不变地。Virtually 现实上, 实际上。unavoidably不可防止地。
3. The boy had a _____ escape when he ran across the road in front of the bus.
A. close B. short C. narrow D. fine
[答案] C. narrow.
[正文]have a narrow escape 幸免遇难。
4. Do you mind if I _____ with my work while you are getting tea ready.
A. get through B. turn to C. carry on D. come on
[答案] C. carry on.
5. I left for the office earlier than usual this morning _____ traffic jam.
A. in line with B. in case of
C. for the sake of D. at the risk of
[答案] B. in case of.
[正文] in case of 以防
In line with (=in agreement with) 与......分歧, 合乎：His actions were not in line with his belief.本句中in line with...作表语。
In line with history and social evolution socialism is inevitable.本句中in line with疏导地短语作状语, 意为“依照”。
For the sake of 为了......起见。
At the sake of冒......的危险。
6. The finance minister has not been so _____ since he raised taxes to such a high level.
A. popular B. well-known C. favorable D. preferable
[答案] A. popular.
[正文]popular 此处意为“ (=liked and admired) 受爱戴的, 有名声或声望的”。
7. It is wrong for someone in such a high _____ in the government to behave too badly in public.
A. situation B. position C. employment D. profession
[答案] B. position.
[正文]position 此句中指“位置” (不可数, 有时加不定冠词), 如：
1) She was a woman of high position.
2) a high (low) position society.
8. We all knew from the very _____ that the plan would fail.
A. outcome B. outset C. income D. output
[答案] B. outset.
[正文] outset 开始, 开端, from the very outset (从一开端) 。outbreak迸发, 发作。outcome终局. income 支出。output 产量。
9. He looked rather untidy as there were two buttons _____ from his coat.
A. loosing B. losing C. off D. missing
[答案] D. missing.
[正文]missing 短少的; a book with some missing pages. (缺页书) 。
10. Lawyers often make higher _____ for their work than they should.
A. bills B. charges C. prices D. costs
[答案] B. charges.
[正文]make charges for对......收 (费) ; 索 (价) 。charge也能够用作动词, 示意“免费, 索价”, 如：
1) We don"t charge anything for that. (对此咱们不免费。)
2) How much do you charge for a haircut? (理个发要收多少钱？)