1. The managing director took the _____ for the accident, although it was not really his fault.
A. guilt B. charge C. blame D. accusatio
[答案] C. blame.
[正文]take the blame for 对......承当责任。Take charge of 担任治理 (关照) 。
2. The worker agreed to _____ the strike if the company would satisfy their demands.
A. call for B. call forth C. call off D. call up
[答案] C. call off
3. I could just see a car in the distance, but I couldn"t _____ what color it was.
A. look out B. make out C. get across D. take after
[答案] B. make out
4. He has impressed his employers considerably and _____ he is soon to be promoted.
A. eventually B. yet C. finally D. accordingly
[答案] D. accordingly.
[正文]accordingly (=for that reason, therefore) 因而, 所以。
5. It was a great _____ for him to be pleasant to people he didn"t like.
A. attempt B. trouble C. power D. effort
[答案] D. effort.
[正文] effort (作可数名词用) (=vigorous attempt) 致力的尝试：Does it require a great effort of will to give up smoking? (戒烟需求刚强的毅力吗？)
6. The firemen managed to _____ the fire in time.
A. extinguish B. prevent C. suppress D. ruin
[答案] A. extinguish.
[正文] extinguish (=put out) vt. 点燃 (火焰等) 。Stop the fire尽管也能够搭配, 但按本句题意用extinguish为最佳。
7. What is most obvious in this book are all those details of daily living which make Mrs. Richard _____ common.
A. nothing butB. anything butC. above all D.rather than
[答案] B. anything but.
[正文] anything but (=far from being) 基本不; The boys knew they bad broken the rules, and they were anything but happy when they were called to the office. (=They were unhappy and afraid.)
nothing but 只不过; Don"t have him for a friend; he"s nothing but a criminal. (不要把他当冤家, 他只不过是个罪犯。) I have nothing but two dollars. (我只有2美元。)
above all最重要的。rather than 而不是
8. The car was completely _____ and the driver seriously injured.
A. broken off B. taken off C. written off D. picked up
[答案] C. written off.
[正文] write off报废
9. On this happy occasion, I"d like to say that we are _____ much obliged to you for your kind cooperation.
A. even so B. ever so C. as yet D. so far
[答案] B. ever so.
[正文]ever so (=very) 十分; It"s ever so cold.与名词搭配时则用ever such, 如：She"s ever such a nice girl. (她是一位十分好的姑娘。)
even so (=although that is true, nevertheless; still) 即便如此：The fire was out, but even so, the smell of smoke was strong. (=The fire was out, but the smell was still there.)
10. His new appointment takes _____ from the beginning of next month.
A. place B. effect C. post D. office
[答案] B. effect.
[正文]take effect 失效。